Monday, April 4, 2016

In a Vase on Monday: By Any Other Name

It has been six months since my last gardening post.  I've been doing plenty of gardening in that time, but just not documenting it. I don't want to forget about how my garden grows over the years, or all the wonderful things that come from it, so I figured it was about time to get back in the swing of things...and what better way than with some beautiful bouquets!


The roses are blooming like crazy already.  We had a very mild winter in Central Texas, so the roses have had an early start.  I have so many roses in the garden right now, that this week's vases are made up entirely of roses!


Vase #1 is a combo of Belinda's Dream (pink), Madame Joseph Schwartz (white), and a mystery red rose that was a pass-along from a gardening friend.


Looks like Valentine's in April!


Vase #2 includes more Madame Joseph Schwartz (white), some Mrs. B. R. Cant (pink), and one of my favorite roses in my garden - Abraham Darby (pinkish apricot).


I love the old-time look of these antique roses.


Not only is the color magnificent on the Abraham Darby, but the smell is intoxicating with it's fruity tones.


Thanks to Cathy over at Rambling in the Garden for hosting this fun meme!

9 comments:

  1. Good to have you back, and with such beautiful roses, Rebecca - you won't be seeing any in my vases for a while yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a mild winter, even for Texas, so we got our blooms even earlier than usual.

      Delete
  2. Your posies have that Martha Stewart Look...meant as a compliment, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is so satisfying going out to collect the flowers and then coming up with creative and lovely arrangements, as I'm sure you are well aware.

      Delete
  3. Your roses are gorgeous, Rebecca! I love all the antique rose forms, and their lovely fragrances as well. Such a deep red, it looks so pretty with the white and pink. Roses don't usually bloom here until June but everything else is so early, maybe it will be sooner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a lovely earlier season of roses!

      Delete
  4. Lovely vases! I can't seem to make Abraham Darby happy, I'm going to move him again this winter into richer soil and more sun. I don't think he's coping with getting overgrown by neighbours. Yours are beautiful and seem a bit more pink than I thought mine were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roses definitely like their space for airflow and ample sunlight. I always fertilize with a nice rich compost around Valentine's Day to give them a nice boost of energy for a lovely production of spring flowers.

      Delete
  5. Rebecca it is wonderful to see you back! And oh my those roses are stunning! Lucky you...thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete